Thursday, June 07, 2007

6-7-07 Gag Me With A Gavel, pt2

Back in December, I made this post regarding a 17 year old guy who had consensual oral sex with a 15 year old girl and got caught, and charged with a felony. In my post, I didn't get the facts of the case entirely correct. It's not a "Romeo and Juliet" type of situation. It happened at a wild party where drugs and alcohol were apparently being used. Love and affection may not have been the main driving force behind their liaison. Nonetheless, a two year age difference is still the issue here.

Today, I spotted updated news about this case that makes me wonder just how much additional missing information there might be.

I'll let the news story speak for itself, but the only crime here, in my opinion, is that this kid had to be born south of the Mason/Dixon line.

The driving force behind this prosecution certainly can't be sanity, or any desire to protect the community. The driving force behind this prosecution can only be racist. It is, after all, taking place in Georgia. And because the facts of the case are still not complete in any news story that I can find about it, I'll venture to guess that the girl was white. Even if she wasn't, the dogged determination of the prosecution to put this kid behind bars for the best years of his life, and then forever after brand him as a sex offender, leaves me with the view that this prosecutorial vigor can only be driven by southern white racism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home