Friday, January 12, 2007

1-12-07 Banging In

There's a website called Banged In for people to anonymously describe how they've called in sick to work.

The term "Banged In" is defined here in the Urban Dictionary.

I banged in today.

Well, actually, I didn't really "call in sick" I just called and said I won't be in. No excuse needed. Essentially, I'm my own "boss" and if I don't feel like making any money on any particular morning, then that's the end of the discussion. Now I have a four day weekend, since Monday is "Martin Luther King Day" and the level of commerce in this city will be quite low. Not much point in my spending the day fighting over scraps with those whose income needs far exceed my own.

Banging in, though, is an interesting term, isn't it? The ever evolving nature of the English language is always such a fascinating subject to me. It's interesting because there are people "out there" who think there's such a thing as "proper" English. The mainstay of English, however, has been its evolution and the constant addition of words and phrases to elicit finer and finer meaning from this spoken and written mode of communication.

It's probably the most difficult language to learn (if it isn't your native tongue) because of this proliferation of nuanced invention that constantly shows up and goes into common usage. There's a great website here where the history of words and phrases can be found, providing a great window into the past of this language, as well as words and terms that are coming into common usage. The Urban Dictionary, of course, is great for the burgeoning confluence of nuanced invention bubbling up into the language, as well.

I banged in today, not knowing at the time I was "banging in" until having stumbled upon the term quite by accident. But I guess this is how it works. You find a new way to describe something in English, and the next thing you know it's part of the language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home