Thursday, December 21, 2006

12-21-06 Criss-Miss

It's almost Criss-Miss, which is often shown in print as "Xmas," although in today's politically corrupt language it doesn't appear much anymore... as people refer to the "happy holidays" instead. But I like to say, "Merry Criss-Miss" anyway. Then during the following week I can say, "Happy New Year."

In those years when I had plenty of disposable income, giving presents was never a problem. But in those years where disposable income doesn't exist (like this one), I have to take a "bah, humbug" stance out of simple financial expediency.

I've been noticing that I'm probably not the only one who's strapped for cash this season, as the number of green zeros on front doors appears to be down considerably. But those who do have money to burn are showing off their prosperity by purchasing those big things for the yard. There's the giant inflatable Santa Clause, and the giant inflatable simulated glass bulb with the snow blowing around inside, and... well, that's about the extent of the choices this year. I expect there will be even more garish and absurd inflatable yard shrines coming out next year.

As customers reach their destination and debark from my taxicab, I've been saying, "Merry Criss-Miss" to most of them this week. I mean, I don't say that to someone who's spent the whole ride pissing and moaning about how they hate the holidays, but it's fun to say it to people who first say to me, "Happy Holidays," just before they get out. The politically incorrect "Merry Criss-Miss" often gives them pause.

It's really amazing to me that saying, "Merry Criss-Miss" would give anyone pause. But that's what I've been seeing. The ones that are most "paused" by it are invariably people who are working in big companies where the corporate culture of this politically corrupt "Happy Holidays" has been burned into their social veneer by the "Human Resources" department over the years. So, when I say it, they give pause... it's an "Oh my God! You're not supposed to SAY that!" kind of thing.

Most of them recover quickly, however, and a smile comes to their faces as they realize that out here, outside the building I'm dropping them off at, where the policies of the "Human Resources" department have no power, they CAN say, "Merry Criss-Miss" and not risk losing their job.

Merry Criss-Miss, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home