Friday, June 16, 2006

6-16-06 The Fig, revisited

How mutable the internet!

Before I posted "The Fig" on June 5th, I did as much homework as I could for the things I said. The first bit of homework was to search both Google and Yahoo for "fig + gold + gilgal". This search gave me the LiveScience and the ScienceDaily reports, dated June 2 and June 4, respectively. There weren't any other reports that showed up in those searches which also made any reference to the gold hollow ball in a picture or in the text, so I went with what I had.

Today, to see if any further comments about the gold ball might have been made in the past couple of weeks, I again did the Google and Yahoo searches for "fig + gold + gilgal" and came up with more stuff.

This article, with the same picture I commented at length upon, explains the gold covering as a preparation for electron microscopy...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13085474/wid/7279844/

Oddly enough, this article pre-dates the search I made on June 5th when it wasn't available... it's dated June first. It actually pre-dates everything I found on June 5th. It's also the first one now listed in my search, along with plenty of additional articles now available with reproductions of the same picture and accompanying text. The newly located articles show the same picture and text, only now the text has the addition of "...in preparation for electron microscope photography" appending the mention of the fig being "wrapped in gold..."

So, in the strictest sense of my being wrong about what I wrote regarding the "gold artefact" last week, and in keeping with the tradition of Emily LaTella...

"Oh...."

"Never mind."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home