Thursday, June 08, 2006

6-8-06 666

Tuesday was 6/6/06, which prompted all sorts of media attention onto "the number of the beast". Very little media attention was given to the more significant matter of this date in history, however, which is the date of the Allied invasion of Normandy during WWII, sixty-two years ago.

Two years ago, on the sixtieth anniversary of this date, I went to Long Island to visit a friend. I drove down to New London, Connecticut and took the ferry to Orient Point, Long Island. I noticed that there were a lot of older men on the ferry, many of them with various uniforms. So I asked one of them where they were headed. He told me that many of them come to that particular ferry boat every June 6th, because it's actually one of the LST's that was used in the Normandy invasion.

Here's a link...

https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.asp

These men, who served in World War II, and who had served on the craft or had been transported on it, came together every June sixth to ride on it and be together.

I had an hour to listen to their stories, and to the conversations they had, while the ferry took us to Orient Point. I will never forget that day. For every one of them who had survived that day, so many others had given their lives...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home