Tuesday, June 06, 2006

6-6-06 IED

"Intermittent Explosive Disorder," is what IED now stands for.

It no longer stands for "Improvised Explosive Device," "Innovative Electronic Designs," "Institution of Engineering Designers," "Internet Evangelism Day," "Institute for Economic Democracy," the "Interligua-English Dictionary," or the "Indoor Environment Department" (of the Environmental Energy Technologies Division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, a government funded operation located on the University of California's Berkeley campus).

IED now means "Intermittent Explosive Disorder"...

I think I must have this. I get pissed off suddenly, and for no apparent reason that anybody around me can discern. I'm a hot-tempered jerk. I'm a constant danger to the environment around me. No-one can possibly predict when I might just fly off the handle!

I was reading the local paper today, and ran across an article about this. Believe it or not, this was a front page article about a "new disease". So, when I got home this afternoon, I wanted to search around for more information about this incredible scientific breakthrough.

This is the first thing I found...

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/intermittent_explosive_disorder.htm

It's not unlike many other listings in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (episode 4), in that this maladay is merely a collection of symptoms. There's no "disease" involved with this at all.. It should be classed under "unwanted personality quirks" that people might come to a practitioner with some desire to get rid of. But it sure in hell isn't a "disease".

Of course, the way the media has suddenly latched onto this, suggesting that this is the "disease" behind "Road Rage", is something that... well... it really pisses me off!

Oops! There I go again, flying off the handle...

I remember talking to a supervisor in a wire mill years ago about how he handled guys who were disruptive, and he told me that, without exception, whenever a guy in the mill "flipped out" over anything stupid, he'd take the guy aside and find out what the REAL problem was. Nine times out of ten, he told me, the guy had some problem he was in the middle of at home. 100% of the time, there was a stressful problem underlying the behavior.

But today, we have to play the game of "Name That Disorder!"

The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that 26.2 percent of the US population has a diagnosable mental disorder. Of course, the tome full of names of "disorders" in the DSM-IV can choke a horse! The more names for disorders they come up with, the more their "estimates" of how many people have disorders will... go up (DUH!).

So, folks, just because something has a "name" given to it by the APA, don't be roped in. If you have an unwanted personality quirk, then learn how to control yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home