Saturday, June 24, 2006

6-24-06 CostaLiving

I just finished reading Peter Costa's new book entitled, "CostaLiving - Laughing through life", which is available for purchase here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978506804/ref=sr_11_1/104-1381176-0611139?ie=UTF8

Peter is a close acquaintance of mine that I admire a great deal, and whose infrequent company is truly savored.

I met Peter a few years ago via ham radio, where he had collected a number of people who gathered on the air every Saturday morning in a loose confederation he referred to as "The Lonely Guys". As hams are wont to do, in-person gatherings take place from time to time in order to trade radio equipment, much like a flea market, only we call them "Ham-fests". It was at one of these events that I met Peter in person several years ago, and since that point I've managed to spend time with him once or twice a year.

He's a very well-educated guy, with a sense of humor that reflects an impressive intellect. It's easy to detect when someone isn't quite as bright as you are, but much more difficult to understand that someone is, in any way, much brighter than you are. Sometimes you can make that distinction right away, sometimes not.

The first impression I had of Peter, before I even met him, only having conversed by two-way radio, was that he was probably much better educated than me. I really got a kick out of his sense of humor. After meeting him and getting to know him better, those impressions were bolstered considerably.

Peter is not a self-promoter. It was quite some time before I began discovering his credentials, outside of the small circle of amateur radio operators that comprised the social circumstances within which our interactions took place. But this is one of the qualities about various hams I've become acquainted with over the years that ends up impressing me the most. It's a sense of camaraderie within a narrow common interest, where the rest of our lives' importances need not be held up to impress anyone.

Peter's book is a wonderful journey through the mundane world via his column in a New England weekly, making observations that elevate everyday events and experiences from mere journalism to an art form. He's got a unique perspective on things that, I guarantee, will evoke chuckles and belly laughs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home