Tuesday, December 27, 2005

12-27-05 (2) On the Big Bang

Here are some links to sites offering information that doesn't support the Big Bang theory...

http://cosmologystatement.org/

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Cosmology-Big-Bang-Theory.htm

http://www.newtonphysics.on.ca/hydrogen/index.html

http://www.bigbangneverhappened.org/

These are just a few, and I'll admit that there's a lot of reading. But I've been following the mounting dissent amongst scientists regarding the continued viability of the Big Bang theory for over a decade, and these four sites do tend to be fairly well focused on the science involved. The first one, however, gets right to the point.

My sense of the Big Bang theory is that I feel I was indoctrinated to believe it in gradeschool. And I have to admit that the theory was good science back in the 1950's and 1960's, during my "formative years". Today, however, it's beginning to look a little less like science, and a bit more like politics and dogma.

What has always bothered me most about the Big Bang theory is how similar it is to Judeo-Christian dogma. The bible says the heavens were suddenly created, and the scientists say that the universe was suddenly created. Neither side seems to have a problem with this concept of every aspect of our existence being suddenly created.... and out of NOTHING, no less!

Out here in the non-scientific world that I live in, however, I can only garner whatever second-hand information I can from sources that may or may not be credible. Over the past decade or so, I've found the same objections and dissenting views coming up, over and over again, along with mounting evidence from new discoveries that all end up eroding the validitiy of the Big Bang theory more and more, as time goes on. As an admitted tyro in such matters, I nevertheless have to say that the foundations of my somewhat humanist sympathies have been slowly eroding away over the past several years.

I'm beginning to sense that I will probably have to consider the humanist viewpoint to be an increasingly religious one, in that the bases of this viewpoint are becoming more articles of faith than solid science.